Monday, 20 June 2016

Daphne's Glove: Caren Garfen

Daphne's Glove piece by Caren Garfen: ‘Their Hands Were Tied’
29cm x 12cm
Transfer print on nylon glove. Machine stitched and hand embroidered. Found objects.
Glove’s partner by Sarah Burford 

“I began by looking to the 1800’s when gloves were an essential part of a woman’s attire; part of social etiquette, taste and propriety.  I compared this gentility with the conduct of female 'celebrities' in the 21st Century, whose lives and actions are exposed for all to see. 
I made my own name tape, hand stitching capital letters in red silk, using words from an online celebrity forum and research from literature which portrayed females of the 19th Century.  The name tape has been attached from the glove to an antique ivory glove stretcher."     

2 comments:

  1. I love your exquisite embroidery, the way you used font, capitalization and color to further highlight the differences between centuries, and especially the glove stretcher, which if as the door on an i, it belongs.

    My dad collected celluloid, aka French Ivory, his favorite kind having the striations to more closely mimic real ivory, as your piece does. It brings back many fond memories of hunting the shops for that next perfect piece. I'm sure I'm the only person who will have looked closely at the largest close-up of the glove stretcher, to see if it really was French Ivory, then smiling because it was. My dad collected, and I still have, over 300 pieces of celluloid.

    Thank you for sharing this wonderful piece of art, and sending me on a trip down memory lane, smiling.

    You are the second person today whose art pointed me towards finding a way to use some of his celluloid to create a piece of art to remember those many treasure hunting expeditions. Fran

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great creation! The glove-stretcher is a perfect addition to it, I did not know you can find them in ivory. I could not believe that all these labels are hand-stitched. Just awesome!

    ReplyDelete